Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Super Powerful Highlights

Below are some of the scenes in book 1 that may be too intense or inappropriate for younger readers.  I tried to place enough of the excerpt to give some context in regards to what is taking place, but I provide some explanations to help.

Starting with the Prologue and it's first few sentences:
You should never swear on live T.V.!  Trust me…your life will suck if you do.
Should kids say that things suck? Well, they do, so get over it.

From Chapter 4:  
 Making it to Mr. Green’s office he invited me to have a seat while he propped himself behind his desk.  Clearing his voice, he sternly probed, “So, are you all healed from your surgery?”

“Oh, yes.  I definitely have a scar—”

“You know,” he interrupted without a care.  “I remember when I had my gall bladder out.  About two years ago.  Damn surgeons botched the job.  Pissed blood for a month before going back.  Found out they forgot to suture me in a spot.  Huh,” he muttered with a brief laugh.  “It was the damn-dest thing.”
Mr. Green has no idea Jimmy is 9 years old since he looks like an adult at the moment.  Jimmy can remain an adult for about 8 hours at a time.

From Chapter 6: 
 Now that I had my arms bound and my powers disabled, he finally placed Annie on the ground.  Tears streamed down her face with her hair a complete fright.  They planned on binding her with restraints, as well.  The commanding soldier signaled for another restraint, but Annie’s mind devised a stunning quick plan of action.  While his attention was diverted elsewhere, Annie plucked a hand grenade off the black thick belt one of the soldiers wore.  I didn’t know how much she knew about grenades, but she found the “pin” and yanked it out.  As the one soldier with the restraints approached her, I screamed, “Annie, no!”  With an orange flash the grenade detonated, sending a shockwave of shrapnel everywhere, which bounced off my face with a "ting."  For a while I couldn’t see or hear anything after the blast and my body flew back a few yards.  When the smoke cleared, I could not see Annie anywhere.  All eight soldiers disintegrated into bits and pieces with arms and legs lying here and there. 
I could have deleted the graphic description of the disintegrated soldiers, but I wanted the reader to fear that something dreadful happened to Annie, too.  Will she be okay or not?

From Chapter 7:
“You know, Jimmy, I’m afraid you won’t be able to spend much time with her.  She got sick overnight.  She’s been sleeping all morning.  I shook her, but she only moaned.  Must’ve had too much excitement, yesterday, I guess.”

“Oh,” I stood there, hesitantly, not sure of what to say.  My desire was to get to her and convert her back to normal.  If she was sick, I could help her with that too.  “Can I go see her?”

“Well, I don’t know.”  She pushed her curly grey hair up higher on her head.  “She really needs to rest.  I’d hate for you to get whatever she has.  You know, Colin has been dying to play with you.  Maybe you two can do something together.”

Colin came bounding out of the kitchen still in his underwear.  “Yea!  Yea!  Yea!  I ‘et to ‘o to Jimmy’s!  And Annie has to stay home ‘cause she sick!”

Oh, no! I really could have thought of better ways to spend my day, but he had been so enthralled that I found myself agreeing to entertain Colin.  He quickly found a red tank top with a grey monster truck on it along with grey shorts with red trim.  Slipping on his sandals, I then waited for him to retrieve his bike from the garage and away we went. 

That 5-year-old boy spent most of his time darting from the trampoline in the backyard, to dumping out all of my toys—action figures, Matchbox cars and airplanes, barrel of monkeys, and a large assortment of Legos.  Pieces from board games, including my classic Battleship, were strewn everywhere.  Pro wrestling cards and army guys lay scattered on my bed and carpet.  He managed to create an unrecognizable pile out of all my stuff in under a half-hour.

He found all my discs for my Wii and he littered the cases all over the floor of the living room.  Within a minute of playing one game, he became frustrated, so he would pop out the disc, randomly toss it, and replace it with another.  He did this several times.  This boy made me dizzy just watching him.  “Jimmy, Jimmy!  Wow, I can’t bewieve you have this…oh I have this. Can you get this Jimmy?”  I didn’t know how long I could take him.  No wonder his grandma wanted time without him! 

Down in the basement, he discovered my dad’s pool table so he had to try to play it.  With a cue stick in his hand, he spent more time jabbing the walls or hitting me in the gut.  The only balls I thought he might actually hit were my own.  By 11:20, I had had enough of Colin, so, I told him that my dad and I were going out to lunch, and he had to leave.
Okay, Annie's little brother is a hyperactive ball of destruction.  If you are male and this kid has an object in his hand, such as a cue stick, your "guys" are at risk.  Jimmy found this out the hard way, almost.  Jimmy may be indestructible, but he feels pain.

From Chapter 11:
Later that evening I had just finished my dinner, when suddenly I heard a crash from down the street, followed by hysterical screaming and the sound of a child crying.   I kneeled on my couch, peeking out the picture window through the drapes to ascertain the cause of the commotion.  At first I couldn’t see anything, but a crowd of neighbors seemed drawn to a house down the block.  Sirens began blaring in the background, and so I went out to do my own rubber-necking.   

Then I heard, “Annie.  Colin.  Are you all right?   Oh my gosh, Kathleen!”  I parted my way through the crowd only to stop at Annie’s yard where a man lay covered in blood amongst a sea of glass in front of the maple tree.  I did not recognize him, but a big bloody hunting knife rested near his head.  Both sides of his face had bubbly patches of skin with a trail of white liquid dripping from his closed eyes.

Bleeding profusely, Annie’s mom thrashed frantically around before collapsing on the driveway.    Jimmy, you gotta help my mom, Annie said telepathically.  Her grandma continued squawking as her daughter slumped on the ground, “Oh my gosh!  Oh my gosh!”  Mrs. Marshall caught sight of me approaching her daughter’s crimson-coated body.  “Jimmy!  No!  Go home!  Oh my gosh!”

Quickly, I knelt down next to Annie’s mom.  Kathleen hemorrhaged blood by the gallon, so it seemed, engulfing every inch of her.  She had six deep stab wounds—four in her abdomen and two in her arms.  Then, I touched her, immediately stopping the bleeding.  Her injuries began to mend as she quickly regenerated new cell tissue along with fresh blood, which flowed through her body.   She opened her eyes and regained consciousness.  No stab wounds were even visible, although she still looked like a waterfowl caught up in a scarlet oil spill.

The police arrived as did a set of paramedics from the fire department, trailed by an ambulance with EMT’s at the ready.  All the neighbors joined with Annie’s grandma with “Oo’s” and” Ahh’s” and “I can’t believe it” after the healing they had witnessed.  The paramedics and the police checked out Annie’s mom.   They determined that her medical condition was good, but insisted she get herself checked out by a doctor within 24 hours.  After attending to the man on the ground, the police grilled Kathleen with questions wondering who he was and discovering he had an outstanding warrant.  It turned out this was Darius, her estranged abusive husband.  From my perspective, it looked like he went through Mrs. Marshall’s front picture window with the glass pane completely shattered.

Mrs. Marshall drifted towards me, baffled.   “I can’t believe what you did.  You healed her.  How?”

Trying to change the subject, I asked, “What happened?”

“I don’t know, really.  I was down in the basement doing laundry.  I came up and found my window completely smashed and Annie’s mom was bleeding.  But, you…”

Annie came over to help with the explanation.  “I’ll tell you what happened.  Darius found where we lived.  Found my mom.  I was in my room, and then I heard my mom scream, ‘Darius, No!  He has a knife!’  I ran down and saw him stabbing my mom in the living room.  Colin ran down the stairs and cried out, ‘Daddy, don’t hurt mommy!’ So, I grabbed his arm, I mean Darius’ arm, not Colin’s, and held it so he couldn’t stab her anymore.  He slapped me with his other hand and called me a ‘little b.’ Then, I spit in his face and I heard a sizzle on his cheek.  He held his face screaming.  I was so mad at him.  I was hoping he would go flying through the window.  All of a sudden, he did.  He flew backwards through the window.”  I looked over at the injured Darius who was a very large man about 6 feet 6.   Every so often he would stir, grunting, but alive.  Mrs. Marshall, who was in earshot of Annie, was so baffled by me that she was oblivious to her granddaughter’s fantastic retelling of the whole incident.
Another graphic scene, but one where Jimmy's healing powers could come to the rescue.  This is when Annie not only discovers her power of telekinesis, but she now has an acid spit.  It's how all Lifetime movies should resolve domestic violence.

Well, that's all for now.  I'll include more excerpts in the next post.  Be good to yourselves. 
   
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment