Tuesday, May 20, 2014

And Now, a Revised Prologue

The prologue...written in first person according to Annie Marshall. Everything else is Jimmy first person. Annie was reluctant to write it because she is not a fan of the writing process. Her best friend is the wordsmith. However, she agreed because Jimmy didn't want her feeling neglected or unappreciated. He gets top billing as the protagonist, but she is crucial to the story. 

Anyway, most of it is the same except for the first two paragraphs. I thought I had a posting of the original prologue, but I can't find it. Here's the prologue as it is now in the third revision:



PROLOGUE


If you’re ever on live T.V., you better watch what you say! Trust me…your life will get all ludicrous if you don’t. My friend Jimmy Miller found this out the hard way. You might remember him. Everyone started calling him Jimmy the Super Powerful. He and I made big news when we thwarted the evil schemes of one out-of-control government-funded corporation from taking over the country and possibly the whole world. We were showered with all kinds of praise. But now…it’s like everything has changed. Just because of one lousy word.
Who am I? Well, I happen to be his best friend. And yes, I’m a girl. You see…neither one of us have had normal childhoods. Back when my mother was arrested and my brother and I had to go live with our grandma, my nana, I was one angry young lady. Okay, I still am. I mean, I’m ashamed of my mom for doing drugs, being sent to prison, and neglecting her children. So, I would run away from my nana, at first. That’s when I met a kid who would change my life forever. We actually already had an encounter at school, and I spilled chocolate milk all over him in the lunchroom. Sneaking into his house, I discovered that this kid was no ordinary boy. He could do things…amazing things that no one else could do.
I was so fascinated by him and his incredible powers. Mainly, though, he was the only kid willing to be my friend. I needed a friend. He didn’t even care if I used to get head lice and he even stood up for me at school one day.
Anyway, you probably are curious about how Jimmy became super powerful. He wasn’t always that way. You know the government? I’m talking about like the President and the Congress over in Washington, D.C. Well, you see, these geniuses gave a ton of money to a corporation called Etyouth, meaning “Eternal Youth.” The money went to fund several research projects to “improve” human life, and the greatest effort went into the engineering of genetically altered food.

1 comment: